Anyway, I've now gotten around to installing them. They are much bigger than the old mufflers. I think I calculated they are 2.5 times bigger (interior volume). They JUST fit our boat. I don't think I could have gotten anything bigger to fit. Phew!
|The old muffler (small) compared to the new muffler (large).|
|The starboard side old muffler.|
|New muffler on the port side. This one JUST fit! Only an inch to spare.|
|Before: 100.6dB. Standing on the dock. LOUD!|
|After: 79dB. The new mufflers are MUCH quieter.|
I also removed the old square sine wave inverter/charger and replaced it with a nice true sine wave inverter/charger. It's a big upgrade for the boat. Now every AC powered device on the boat will be getting power like it would at home, not the chopped-up and crude power it was getting from 20 year old inverter technology. This means battery chargers won't overcharge and ruin our batteries in laptops, cellphones, cordless drills, Nintendo DS's, etc anymore. It means the microwave won't buzz loudly when in use. It means clocks will keep time and the navigation computer will be more reliable. It also means the TV won't make it's slight buzzing noise anymore, and will have an even better picture. Plus it's a much better boat battery charger meaning our expensive house battery bank should live a longer life.
|The old inverter. I'm going to wire it up as a spare, just in case.|
|The nice new, high-tech inverter. It produces much better AC power.|
I fixed a really bad transmission fluid leak. It started a few months ago and would leak a quart in about 15 hours of engine run time. That's a bad leak. It was simple to fix once I figured out where it was coming from. The O-ring that seals the shift rod was leaking. I just had to pull the shifter shaft out of the transmission and install a new O-ring and the problem was solved. I replaced the O-ring on the other transmission as a precautionary measure, just to be safe.
I also installed some new digital tachometers. It took a bit of messing around with to get them to match up correctly with our tach senders. I finally figured out that our Detroit Diesel senders output three pulses per engine revolution and once I set the tach's for that, they were perfectly accurate. I compared them to my hand-held digital laser tachometer and they are PERFECT. These tach's are accurate to within one RPM. The old mechanical tachs were off by hundreds of RPM's and were virtually useless.
|New digital tachometers, with engine hour meters (top readout)|
Stay tuned for updates...